the Greek Superfood
Chios Mastiha is the natural resin of Pistacia Lentiscus var. Chia, a tree which grows only in the Aegean island of Chios, Greece. Ηarvested exclusively in South Chios and is characterized from a traditional, labor-intensive way of production. Chios Mastiha has been granted the status of Protected Designation of Origin in the European Union.
Properties & Benefits
Numerous published international clinical studies verify that Mastiha is a medicinal herb that exhibits strong:
Further non-clinical studies include the effect of Chios Mastiha against:
Indicative scientific references from our studies database
1. Chios Mastic Gum: A Plant-produced Resin Exhibiting Numerous Diverse Pharmaceuticaland Biomedical Prοperties. K. Dimas et al., in vivo26: 777-786 (2012).
2. “Antimicrobial Activity of the Essential Oil of Mastiha Gum (Pistacia lentiscus var. chia) on Gram Positive and Gram Negative Bacteria in Broth and in Model Food System”, Chrysoula C. Tassou and G. J. E. Nychas, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation (1995), 36, 3-4, p.411.
3. “Biological activity of saliva against in vitro LDL oxidation after chewing commercial chewing gums” N. Andrikopoulos, A. Kaliora, A. Assimopoulou, V. Papageorgiou.Ital. J. Food Sci. (2002), 3, Vol.14, p. 279-290
4. “Evaluation of xerostomy degree in elderly patients with entire dentures”,V. Anastasiadou, Mouth Magazine (2002), 30
5. “Chios Mastiha and oral hygiene. I: A possible measure for decrease microbial plaque formation” Topitsoglou-Themeli V, Dangalis P, Lambrou D, Hell. Stom. Chron. (1984), Vol.28, p. 166-170.
6. “Chios Mastiha and oral hygiene. II: Differentiation in microbial plaque formation” Topitsoglou-Themeli V, Kolokotronis A, Dangalis P, Lambrou D. Pedodontia (1985), Vol. 2, p. 56-59.
7. “Mastiha gum Inhibits Bacterial Grow in Oral Cavity”, Munemoto Fukazawa, Keiso Takahashi, Kazuyuki Watanabe, Hitoshi Motohira, Shigeru Amano, Kuniyasu Ochiai and Takashi Miyata, Journal of the Japanese Society of Periodontology (2001), Vol. 43, Issue 13(4) p. 86.
8. “A Pilot Study on Anti-Plaque Effects of Mastiha Chewing Gum in Oral Cavity”, Keiso Takahashi, Munemoto Fukazawa, Keiso Watanabe, Kuniyasu Ochiai Hirofumi Nishikawa and Takashi Miyata, Journal of Periodontology (2003), Vol. 7, No. 4 p. 507-511.
9. “Double blind randomized control test for the usefulness of Mastiha compound dentifrice agains periodontitis under using sonic toothbrush”, Watanabe Hisashi, Hagiwara Satsuki, Fukuda Motohisa, Yuichi Izumi, Tamura Noriko, Suzuki Masamitsu, Kawasaki daisuke, Fukahori Masahiro, Yakuri to chiryo (2010), Vol. 38, No. 10,p p. 915-925.
10. “A double blind trial of Mastiha and placebo in treatment of duodenal ulcer”, Μ. Al-Habbal, Ζ. Al-Habbal, F. Huwez, Proceedings of 3th International Conference on Islamic Medicine, Istabul, Turkey, (1984), p. 105.
11. “A double-blind controlled clinical trial of Mastiha and placebo in the treatment of duodenal ulcer”, Al-Habbal MJ, Al-Habbal Z, Huwez FU, Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol. (1984), No 11 Vol. 5, p. 541-544.
12. “Mastiha in treatment of benign gastric ulcer” Huwez FU, Al-Habbal MJ, Gastroenterol Jpn. (1986), Vol. 3, no.21, p. 273-4.